Monday, March 21, 2011

Street Style

This weekend I answered some questions about my style for a journalism student. It won't be published anywhere, but I thought I'd share my answers here.

I'm wearing: a fully synthetic sweater from the Urban Planet warehouse store
Fake swede boots from Spring
Fake leather bag from the Aldo outlet in Montreal
An antique broken locket from St.Lawrence Market
Floral tights from Garage
Manic Panic veg-based hair dye
Glasses from Wizard of Iz Optical on Eglinton (love them, super nice shop owner)


Who influenced your style?
I guess it started with Shirley Manson, Courtney Love and Gwen Stefani.

Who is your favourite designer? Why?
Stela McCartney. She brings ethics to high fashion which is mostly unheard of.





I adore this ad campaign for Stela!



What store do you most frequent?
I'm not a big shopper. Most of my clothing is thrifted, sewn by me or traded with friends at clothing swaps.

Is there a store that you make sure to avoid? Why?
I will avoid any store that retails fur. I avoid Get Outside on Queen because they sell rabbit fur mukluks, kangaroo skin Uggs, Vans and Converse which are all owned by Nike.

What are your favourite colours to wear?
Grey, black, pink and neon green.

Do you follow trends?
I wish I could say no but I love the 90's throwback that's going on right now. I'm all over the floral prints, grunge boots and bleached denim. I love the 90's!

What is the one item that you cannot live without?
My camera. I love happy memories and making art.

Do you have a favourite article of clothing that you received as a gift?
I love my t-shirt with a graphic illustration by artist Cam Davis from Berlin Tattoo.

What item do you own that you would never wear outside of the house?
I've walked my dog in a pink fuzzy bathrobe. I have no shame.

What is your oldest clothing item that you could never get rid of?
My bat mitzvah dress, it's hilarious! I might take it apart one day to use the amazing peach & turquoise lace my aunt glued rhinestones to.

Are you an avid reader of any fashion blogs or magazines?
I like Gala Darling, Haute Macabre and Girly Girl Army. I find a lot of great photos on Tumblr so I find all the good stuff from magazines online.

What lures you out of your fashion budget?
Sales on great non-leather shoes & blinged-out earrings from Body Art Forms.

What do you consider your essential pieces when you travel?
Leggings - you can layer them if it's cold and they take up very little space. Hoodies, I hate being cold. A great purse to dress up a plain outfit for going out. One pair of practical but stylish shoes for a tipsy night on cobblestone.

Would you consider designing your own line of clothes full-time?
Yes I plan to return to working on my line Healing Heart Designs when I get back from travelling.

How do you envision the future of clothing?
I imagine that people will tire of cheap disposable fabrics and technologically enhanced fabrics will prove to be best.

No comments: